Date and walnut cake recipe.
- 1 cup (175) chopped dates.
- 11/2 cups (355 ml) water.
- 3 cups (375 g) all-purpose flour plus more for dusting.
- 1 cup (240 ml) vegetable oil.
- 11⁄2 cups (338 g) dark brown sugar.
- 1 cup (117 g) chopped walnuts.
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature.
- 1⁄2 cup (120 ml) sour cream, room temp.
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) pure vanilla extract.
- 21⁄2 teaspoons (11 g) baking powder.
- 11⁄2 teaspoon + 1 teaspoon baking soda.
- 11/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt.
- Vegetable oil spray, for frying pans.
Place chopped dates and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer until dates have softened. Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda and mix with a fork until smooth. The mixture will increase in volume after adding the baking soda and become bubbly. Set aside until the mixture has reached room temperature.
Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C). Spray with vegetable oil spray, dust with flour and line four 6-inch round cake pans with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, mix oil, brown sugar, walnuts, eggs, sour cream, vanilla and date mixture until well combined, then set aside.
Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, ground cinnamon and salt into the bowl of your stand mixer that has been fitted with the paddle attachment.
Set your mixer on low speed and slowly pour in the wet ingredients. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat until smooth, no more than 1 minute.
Divide the cake batter evenly among the prepared pans. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cake comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and allow the cakes to cool before decorating.
Top with caramel Italian meringue buttercream and add a drop of caramel if desired.